Description

...a blog for the friends and family of dan, jen, worthy, william, calvin & christian

Friday, May 8, 2009

Live Long and Prosper...

So today it's here! The opening of the new Star Trek movie from J.J. Abrams. We'll be heading there tonight. The babysitter is scheduled and we can't wait! Dan's been a Star Trek fan forever and I acquired it with the marriage vows. I'm not a classic Star Trek fan, but really enjoyed The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager.

This week I happened to catch J.J. Abrams (the director) on Charlie Rose and he was discussing the appeal of the franchise. His take was that it gives us an optimistic view of the future and hence that's why it's so widely embraced and adored, as opposed to a lot of other sci-fi material that tends to be post-apocalyptic, etc. This really illuminated why I think I like it. I hadn't thought about it before, but in many ways, Star Trek is very Kingdom oriented. God is bringing the Kingdom to earth, not destroying the Earth. This will be the place where God will reign physically and that's cool. Granted Star Trek's view of the future doesn't include God, but mine does and I'm convinced that God's scope and plan is more amazing than even Gene Roddenberry imagined.

And... we're not the only ones excited today...


3 comments:

  1. Beam me home, Will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just want to let you know that I am going to miss you and your family when you are in Vienna. I really hope that you will be able to continue the Beilman Blog when you are over there.

    ReplyDelete