Description

...a blog for the friends and family of dan, jen, worthy, william, calvin & christian

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Will power

One of my goals this summer has been to take my two oldest on a modest trek and stay in a Hütte overnight. So while Worthy was in the States I took William to Styria for an overnight trip. What better way to beat the heat than to spend the night a mile above sea level?

The hike was far from "modest." Had I known what it would entail I would not have attempted it. William was able to handle the distance (what for many is a 3 hour hike took us 6 hours) and the elevation (we climbed about 3000 feet!). What I had not anticipated was the ruggedness of the trail--it was very rocky and eroded--and the heat; it never cooled off until we got to the very top.

But William never complained. He was often the one running ahead (when running was possible) to find the next trail marker. He loved being the leader. My friend Scott gave me sound advice--stop whenever he wants, eat and drink whatever and whenever he wants, take pictures of whatever he wants. Will was also full of encouragement. On a couple of occasions I felt it best to carry him for a short distance; one time, he heard me laboring, and whispered in my ear, "Daddy, be strong, for the holy God is with you." I'm very proud of my William!

Our hike started in Oberlausa.

William was very intent on photographing butterflies.




William running ahead to find the next red-white-red trail marker




Yes, this river bed (which is full after the
snow starts to melt) is as bright as it looks.

After crossing the riverbed the way winds itself
up a steep slope.


The river bed lays at the bottom of this valley.

The way continued to get more rugged;
we scrambled down into this channel and back up to find the correct path.

Rugged, and overgrown. We learned that this path is not
used nearly as often as the others leading up to the hut.





This is a lake in May.
Notice the hut on the ridge line on the right.


We saw a small herd of four chamois.


Finally at the top!


The hut had plenty of toys!

Bergsteigeressen ("mountain climber food")

The hut guardians had a 3-year-old son that William played with.

Whence we came, the last 2 hours of our ascent. Notice the path leading up from the Großer Bodensee.




No comments:

Post a Comment