Description

...a blog for the friends and family of dan, jen, worthy, william, calvin & christian

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cellulitis = No fun

So I was in the hospital for 3 days last week with Cellulitis. The whole episode was unpleasant and a bit scary. There's a lot that could be said about my stint there, but the thing that impacted me the most was my sadness for people that don't have health insurance. I can't imagine going through something like this and my first thought being "how am I going to pay for this?". I was free of that burden and was still anxious and restless while there. No one should have to be inhibited to pursue legitimate medical claims due to finances.

Well, I'm virtually all better now. The pain is all gone and the redness is non-existent. I have a little peeling on my face, but aside from that I feel wonderful. I feel blessed to have wonderful family and friends that stood in the gap while I was away to help take care of the boys and cook meals. It's great to be part of a community!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I was just diagnosed with cellulitis, and fortunately have not had to go to the hospital. My ear and face looked exactly like yours. The 1st thing prescribed was for a simple ear infection and did nothing. The second thing (48 hrs later), sulfameth/trimethoprim, along with a shot in the hip, is bringing the swelling down even in just 3 hours. I was taking a CNA class, and in using the two headed stethoscope got this infection from the ear pieces. The Dr says that just cleaning them with alcohol is insufficient for cleaning. You must use antibacterial wipes. Anyway, I had never heard of this, but it can be life threatening so I'm glad I went to the dr within 12 hrs after symptoms popped up. I hope yours is all cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i just got celluitis in my foot and I was wondering how soon did you have to get hospitalized? i got seen 24 hrs after my cut that infected me, and now just started taking an oral antibiotic last night. it's a bit scary all the stuff I'm reading on it. I'm glad you are ok and had insurance. i dont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got hospitalized about 42 hours after I noticed it. The spreading continued and there was some worry that it could spread to my eyes and cause permanent optic damage. The tried to send me home at the ER, but I insisted on staying and seeing an Infectious Disease doctor. At that point they hadn't ruled out the Flesh Eating disease. Once the ID doctor arrived she diagnosed it and put me on an IV antibiotic. They kept me 3 days until it was gone.

    ReplyDelete